Thursday, July 28, 2011

What Was Wrong with the ARC Southwest Gathering and Why I Can't Wait To Go Back Next Year, by David Hammerslag


I attended the ARC Southwest Gathering in San Diego this year. It was my first time at an ARC gathering and although there was a huge problem with this one I can’t wait for next year’s gathering.

Having never been at an ARC Gathering I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect, but since God, with his penchant for the unexpected and counterintuitive, has decided I should be an intercessor and since prayer was the focus of the Gathering, I thought I had better go. The session topics looked pretty good and I might learn something practical.

Holy Spirit had a different idea.

Almost immediately during the Wednesday evening worship God started bringing to light and dealing with some things that were hindering my spiritual maturation. After the worship, Pete Grieg gave a powerful message focusing on moving from prayer as a guilt-inducing “should” to an invitation to be in the presence of God. That served as a personal keynote for the rest of the week.

Thursday morning kicked off with a chapel service where Holy Spirit was leading me through some necessary stuff. It was a profound and liberating time. Seemingly off-hand remarks from speakers would set off new waves of Holy Spirit’s work in me. I had more honest, BS-free conversation with God than I suspected was possible.

With each new speaker and each new topic Holy Spirit was at work dealing with me where I needed it most. It was sometimes uncomfortable and sometimes euphoric but it was always truly awesome. People I did not know prayed for and with me. One had a vision that confirmed to me and reinforced what Holy Spirit had been telling me.

With each new lesson, both from the speakers and from Holy Spirit, my prayer time became more genuine, less pro forma, and more vital and intimate.

Friday dawned with new revelation for someone else that I was able to share and then take to the Lord in a very powerful prayer time. This was amplified by someone ministering to me in prayer while I was praying over the revelation for someone else.

Friday evening the Gathering concluded with an incredibly powerful, Spirit-filled evening of personal testimony, revelation, worship, and the saving and renewing action of the Spirit. I was disappointed to have it end after only three hours.

I went expecting a couple of days of informative teaching. As is often the case with God, when we go seeking, he way over-delivers. I got a two-and-a-half day spiritual retreat and boot camp that changed my relationship with the Father in ways I would not have dared to go after.
If you’ve read this far and if you noticed the title you are probably wondering, “So what was wrong with it?” Here’s what: there were not nearly enough of my brothers and sisters from Wonderful Mercy there to share in the spiritual bounty!

I can’t wait for the chance to go next year. If you don’t go you will surely miss out on something sweet the Father has for you.

Please make your plans now to attend the 2012 Southwest Gathering in Huntington Beach in July. There will special sessions for children, youth, and adults. It promises to be an amazing experience!


Note: David Hammerslag is a member of Wonderful Mercy Church in Gilbert (Phoenix), Arizona.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers